Re: CUPS vs lpd

On 2008-07-07 21:07 +0200, Mumia W.. wrote:

> On 07/07/2008 07:29 AM, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>> [...]
>> BTW Mumia W., according to his message, stores his newly-compiled
>> gtk in an "exotic" location. I didn't do this. /usr/local (the
>> default when you compile from gtk.org) is exotic enough. Stuff
>> which is installed there has priority over similarly-named stuff
>> in /usr.
>>

> That's the problem. The gtk+2.10 in /usr/local will be seen before the
> gtk+2.8 in /usr, and programs that need gtk+2.8 won't work correctly.

The latter statement is quite exaggerating, since gtk+2.x releases have
always been upward compatible.  However, there is another reason not to
install gtk+2.10 (or other libraries, for that matter) into /usr/local:
when you later upgrade to Lenny and forget to uninstall the local
library first, programs built against gtk+2.12 will fail miserably.

Sven