Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I installed the gtk stuff in that way and I do have the entries
> you listed. But I don't seem to have the same printer entries
> in about:config.
>
> I have put
>
> print.print_printer  user_set  string lpr
>
> which doesn't seem to work. I can't see options for your other
> entries. How did you create an entry for
> print.postscript.cups.enabled?

I set print.print_printer to PostScript/Default, not lpr. But it
does not seem to matter.

New preferences can be made by right-clicking anywhere in
about:config and selecting "New". It does not seem possible to
remove such preferences once they are created. But the setting of
print.postscript.cups.enabled also did not matter. I changed it
from "false" to "true" and I can still print. I cannot remember
exactly which other about:config print things I changed, but I now
tried several other things, and none seem to matter.

I hope you get it sorted out. Which version exactly did you
download from gtk.org? Mine is gtk+-2.10.13. Tarball was called
gtk+-2.10.13.tar.bz2 (an "older" version, not the "stable" 2.12
version).

BTW Mumia W., according to his message, stores his newly-compiled
gtk in an "exotic" location. I didn't do this. /usr/local (the
default when you compile from gtk.org) is exotic enough. Stuff
which is installed there has priority over similarly-named stuff
in /usr.

Do you have a printer named lp in printcap? (Or named as an
alternative, such as LaserJet|lp ?). Well, I suppose you do.

Regards, Jan