Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
On 05 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

> What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?

1. because lpr/lpd and magicfilter work perfectly for me.

Other than the minor detail of not printing from your web browser.  How is this working perfectly?

2. because CUPS offers no advantage for me.

Other than the dubious advantage of actually working?

3. because when I did use it in the past my output was slightly worse
than with my existing setup.

This is subjective so I can't speak to it.

4. because, in the light of the above, using it will involve me in a
fair amount of work for no clear benefit and possibly a worse output.

Other than the murky benefit of actually being able to print documents from Firefox 3, the original complaint you posted about?  I'm not trying to be an ass here, but the reasons you give don't make any sense.  If "resistance to change" is the reason, I can understand that, but "because what I have works perfectly" isn't a reason -- it obviously *does not* work perfectly for you.

What I'm getting at here is that perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and move to CUPS (pretty much the de facto printing standard for UNIX now).  It is what's installed by default (ie; to get it working, you need take no action).  It is what more people are running (and thus giving you a wider base of support).

So, are there *other* reasons you don't want to migrate?

--
Chris