Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0

On 03 Jul 2008, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Well, I struggled with iceweasel 3.0 from Sid for a week but have now
> > given up. First, printing no longer worked (see earlier posts). I got it
> > to work, sort of, by using inotifywait and printing the mozilla.ps file
> > but it wasn't a good solution. Then I found I could no longer listent to
> > the BBC: attempts to do so caused a crash. This makes it largely useless
> > so far as I am concerned.
> >
> > So I've installed the version from Testing and propose to stay with that
> > unless and until these bugs are fixed. I know there are said to be
> > security issues with older versions of the browser but I shall have to
> > hope for the best.
> >
> > Anthony
> > --
> > Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
> > Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
> > http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
> > and sceptical articles)
>
> Well that is very odd.  I have a sacrificial machine which I keep up to date
> each morning - running unstable.
>
> It has Iceweasel 3.0 installed, and I listen to Radios 4, 7 and the World
> Service using it without any problems.
>
> I have also just printed a page from it, and it worked perfectly.
>
> So I guess the problem must be your setup, either than or I am unusually
> lucky.
>
> David.

I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
wrong with the original download.

The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
the possibility to print to file.

Anthony