Re: using debootstrap to install Debian

michael wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 17:24 +0200, Shawn Beasley wrote:
>> michael wrote:
>>> I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
>>> installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
>>> CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
>>> cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
>>> Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M
>> Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
>> your hard drive and copy the  initrd.gz  vmlinuz to /root. (found in
>> install.i386)
>>
>> Reboot from cd an press escape to get to the grub command line.
>>
>> grub> root (hd0,1) <= your hard drive
>> grub> kernel /root/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
>> grub> boot
>>
>> Should work, I had the same problem with an older server. The cd booted
>> everything except the server :(
>
> I think it is possible to do what I want without using a Live CD, eg
> consider I was trying, remotely, to install Debian!

Like I said, I was only reporting my success. I could not use the netiso
to install from the network (www), so I researched. and found out
(without bootstrapping) you can copy these files, which are used by the
netiso installer, to the root partition by using a live cd to access the
system. This would of course not apply if you have a running system. You
could then just copy them to the partition when booted into your running
system.

Then when you reboot, you can use the grub paramaters mentioned (keeping
in mind the netiso cd will still be needed) to boot into the normal net
install process.

I hope you find what you are looking for. CU

--
Dig"IT!al Ninja