Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/05/08 02:07, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 03 Jul 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/03/08 09:12, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 03 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
wrong with the original download.

The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
the possibility to print to file.
Have you tried installing xprint?

Yes, I have xprint. The problem is that the option to choose lpr has
been removed from iceweasel. I really don't want to move to CUPS just
for this. I regard this as a retrograde step on the part of the the
Iceweasel developers, resulting in loss of choice.
s/iceweasel/firefox

But I do see your point.  File a bug at Mozilla.com.  I'm sure
they'll mark it Wont-fix, though...

Does this work correctly in FF3? I have that but also CUPS so I can't test it.

Hugo

I tried Firefox 3 with the same result. I have submitted a bug report
but, as you say, it probably won't be fixed.

What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?

And eventually iceweasel 3 will be everywhere.

Hugo