Re: Install debian Etch with debootstrap on top of fedora (SOLVED by ensuring PATH set for sudo/root)

El mar, 01-07-2008 a las 12:37 +0100, michael escribió:
> On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 06:50 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
[...]
> > > here we go, just reran:
> > >
> > > mkb@veri:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch amd64 etch /debian_chroot/
> > > http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/
> > > Password:
> > > I: Retrieving Release
> > [...]
> > > W: Failure trying to run: chroot /debian_chroot mount -t proc proc /proc
[...]
> Just to be sure, I've su to root, ensure 'chroot' is in its path and
> tried again and now get a different but more informative error (see
> below). I guess it was right in saying it couldn't run chroot since on
> Fedora /usr/sbin/chroot wasn't in the path, so thanks for pointing that
> out.
>
> So, now the error appears to be:
> W: Failure trying to run: chroot /debian_chroot dpkg --force-depends
> --install var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_4_amd64.deb
> var/cache/apt/archives/base-passwd_3.5.11_amd64.deb
> [root@veri mkb]#
>
> I can't find a /target, either in the Fedora or the chroot
> 'things' (what is the right word?)
> but /debian_chroot/debootstrap/debootstrap.log contains:
> pkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 2 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin
> and /sbin.
> /usr/share/debootstrap/functions: line 5: echo: write error: Broken pipe
>
> So I added /sbin to the PATH (for ldconfig but can't locate
> start-stop-daemon), presuming it's Fedora's and not the
> chroot's /sbin/ldconfig that's required, and tried again, this time
> giving the welcome:
>

> I: Base system installed successfully.

Interesting, the path wasn't modified when you "sued" to root.

When it says it cannot find ldconfig or start-stop-daemon in the path,
it's talking about the path under the chroot. But, the path used within
the chroot is inherited from the shell calling it.

That's why it worked after adding /sbin to the path (on a debian system,
it also contains start-stop-daemon).

A normal PATH for root is:
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin.

Anyway, glad you could solve it.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."