Re: Install debian Etch with debootstrap on top of fedora (SOLVED by ensuring PATH set for sudo/root)

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 06:50 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
> El mar, 01-07-2008 a las 10:41 +0100, michael escribió:

> > > fedora$ sudo /usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch amd64 etch /debian_chroot/
> > > http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/
> > >
> > > The error was as above! And was the last thing the debootstrap issued.
> >
> > here we go, just reran:
> >
> > mkb@veri:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch amd64 etch /debian_chroot/
> > http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/
> > Password:
> > I: Retrieving Release
> [...]
> > W: Failure trying to run: chroot /debian_chroot mount -t proc proc /proc
> >
> > Just to clarify I'm doing this since I wish to install Debian (as the
> > main and then only) Linux on the machine, but when tried the netinst it
> > wasn't happy with the CDROM.
> >

> I tought it would show something useful. I remember there was a log file
> somewhere in /target/debootstrap, maybe it contains a more descriptive
> error.

Just to be sure, I've su to root, ensure 'chroot' is in its path and
tried again and now get a different but more informative error (see
below). I guess it was right in saying it couldn't run chroot since on
Fedora /usr/sbin/chroot wasn't in the path, so thanks for pointing that
out.

So, now the error appears to be:
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /debian_chroot dpkg --force-depends
--install var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_4_amd64.deb
var/cache/apt/archives/base-passwd_3.5.11_amd64.deb
[root@veri mkb]#

I can't find a /target, either in the Fedora or the chroot
'things' (what is the right word?)
but /debian_chroot/debootstrap/debootstrap.log contains:
pkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 2 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin
and /sbin.
/usr/share/debootstrap/functions: line 5: echo: write error: Broken pipe

So I added /sbin to the PATH (for ldconfig but can't locate
start-stop-daemon), presuming it's Fedora's and not the
chroot's /sbin/ldconfig that's required, and tried again, this time
giving the welcome:

I: Base system installed successfully.