Re: project: wired/wireless router

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:26:28AM +0100, Sam Kuper wrote:
> I can confirm that the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is very stable under OpenWRT
> White Russian, which gives you (yet) another option if you go down the
> path of buying a new router/AP device.
>
> Alternatively, if you're set on using your existing box as your
> router/AP, why not use a USB Wi-Fi device if you're going to be occupying
> the sole PCI slot with an ethernet card? USB Wi-Fi dongles are often
> cheaper than Ethernet ones. (NB. If I've failed to notice that your box
> doesn't have USB, then please disregard this comment.)

I hadn't even considered USB WiFi. I like the idea. The existing box does
have USB, so that's workable. Now I just need to do a bit of research on
which USB WiFi devices are well supported by 2.6.18 (I think that's what's
in Debian stable).

The box has one PCI slot, several (three? four?) USB ports, and an on-board
wired ethernet port. I also have a wired ethernet PCI card lying around
somewhere and I think I have a suitable wired hub, so it's just a matter of
the USB WiFi. Comparing the certainty of the software being able to run
separate interfaces and route properly, not to mention the familiarity of
Debian, to the WRT stuff where you are restricted to a 2.4 kernel and I
don't feel certain it supports the configuration I need, it looks to me
like my existing box is a better approach.

Now I just need to learn iptables really well so I can configure it. Any
book suggestions?

> Sam
--Greg