Re: project: wired/wireless router

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Gregory Seidman
<gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> wrote:
> I've heard of this. I was kind of hoping to do all this with Debian, but it
> sounds like the WRT54GL is a better bet, but only if it can actually
> firewall the wired subnet from the wireless subnet. A little bit of
> googling hasn't given me the answer to that either way. Does anyone know?

I can't talk from personal experience with that particular router, but
according to:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys/WRT54GL
it seems like unless you limit yourself to to a 2.4 kernel, you won't
have to worry about firewalling the wireless subnet (since you won't
have one!)

Having said that, I run openwrt on a couple of asus routers: one
wl-hdd and one asus wl-500g and they have the same issue with regards
to their wifi under a 2.6 kernel. I've been running "white russian"
(linux 2.4.30) on both of them for ages and they're perfectly stable
(current uptime measured in months). As it's a straight linux, you get
a full iptables to play with. When it's time to upgrade to 2.6, one
option for me (and possibly for you) is to plug a usb wireless stick
into the usb socket (which both of these devices possess).

Again, just my 0.02cents. HTH...