Re: project: wired/wireless router

Nick Lidakis wrote:

cables and antennas, would have been a big expense. It was much cheaper to pick up a used Linksys WRT54G ($20 from Craigslist) and use it as a

Yup, going this way is going to be cheaper, no doubt. However, if the OP goes the way he is thinking about (adding a multiport NIC and a wireless bridge or an additional wireless card), that will be an excellent learning experience. I have an old machine running as a router this way. It has two NICs and a wireless PCI card working as an access point (D-Link, can look up the model if anyone wants, but it is supported by madwifi driver). One of the NICs is connected to my ADSL modem, the other to a LAN switch. My wired LAN is 192.168.0.x, my wireless LAN is 192.168.5.0 and I have iptables running with my custom rules controlling both the network with access the internet via the ppp0 connection made through the ADSL modem.

Now, I also have the WRT-54GL which has been flashed with the open source firmware.

I would say the consumer router choice (e.g. WRT-54G(L)) is the easiest to implement. The other choice, making a computer as a router, is quite involved but interesting (could be made very streamlined using a firewall machine oriented Linux Distro) and serves as an excellent learning project (networking and iptables). Moreover, with the latter choice, one has very fine grained control over the routing and filtering of network packets.

My 2 cents,
either way, Good luck to the OP!