Re: project: wired/wireless router

oneman wrote:

On 28-jun-2008, at 18:30, Gregory Seidman wrote:

I have a mini case with a VIA motherboard and CPU. It has an on-board
ethernet port. I'd like to use it as a Linux firewall/NAT router to replace
the (wired only) LinkSys I have now. It only has one PCI slot, but I want
to be able to provide both wired and wireless LAN access. I'm looking for
both hardware suggestions (i.e. a PCI card with both wired and wireless
ethernet that is supported by the kernel in stable) and configuration help.

Maybe not the answer that you were looking for. But seeing what your requirements are, I'd simply add a two or four port ethernet card to the case and plug a wireless bridge into one of the ports. This would be a hassle free setup and give you all the options you need without having to hunt down that probably rare or non existent card with both wireless and wired. This would also give you the future proof posibility to add another wireless bridge when a new and better standard is hitting the market. (I love to have both 802.11b and 802.11n bridges on my network, so I can have the 802.11n bridge running at its fastest setting).

I had done something similar with my monowall firewall running on a PC Engines WRAP board. Adding a mini-PCI wireless card, with its associated cables and antennas, would have been a big expense. It was much cheaper to pick up a used Linksys WRT54G ($20 from Craigslist) and use it as a dedicated wireless AP. You can also use the the remaining 3 ethernet ports as you would a regular switch for the wired devices on your LAN.