Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 04:06:55PM +0200, David wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Chris Bannister
> <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 05:59:01PM +0200, David wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Consider: person a replies to part of your reply, so they trim out what
> > is not relevant. person b replies to part of your reply, so they trim
> > out what is not relevant. Already the messages are starting to separate,
> > possibly returning to the state that was existing before you
> > concatenated them but with the threads in disarray.
>
> You make some good points, but I think that my case is a reasonable exception.

Trouble is, all exceptions are reasonable to a certain degree.

> As the original poster, most of the replies are to my original (and
> follow-up) posts. For cases where I am replying to many replies (to my
> original post) at once, the natural (easier for me to write, and
> others to read) format seems to be 1 mail. That one mail makes my
> follow-up more readable, because:

Does your mail reader display threads? I'm guessing not.

> 1) My reply is to to the thread as a whole, rather than to specific
> people on the thread.

Yeah, and people are reading the *thread*

> 2) 1, well-composed mail on one subject is (in my opinion) easier to
> read than many smaller mails. In the longer mail you can establish
> some context, and refer to that context in your replies.

Yeah, but you are _including_ not _refering_

> 3) Receiving 5 mails from 1 person in succession on the same subject
> is a bit annoying :-)

Not sure what you mean.

> I agree with you, that in these cases, putting replies in 1 mail is bad form:
>
> 1) Mails in different sub-threads (defined as threads where there is
> discussion amongst other people than myself and 1 other person).

Huh?

> 2) Replying specifically to 1 person (To: header), but including my
> replies to other people

All replies should go to the list. Of course certain mail should be
private.

[..]

If you were using a threaded mail reader I am sure you would see the
benefits of keepin mails separate.

A lot of your arguments sound suspiciously like someone who is used to
M$ style email programs.

--
Chris.
======