Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

David wrote:
Hi list.

I already checked this problem with Google and with my LUG, and would
like to ask on this mailing list before I fire off a bunch of feature
requests in the Debian BTS.

===== FROM MAIL TO MY LUG =====

I've tried Googling for this but haven't found much info, so asking here.

Every X days or Y reboots, Linux (on my home PC, which I boot & shut
down 2x each day) wants to scan partitions for errors at startup.
While this is a bit annoying (can't use the PC for 10-20 minutes), I
usually let it finish and read a book while waiting.

Use XFS, and it won't fsck when you boot :)

Well it will, but the fsck.xfs does pretty much nothing.
But at other times I want to use the PC quickly for something, and
waiting for fsck to finish isn't an option. The problem is, hitting
Ctrl+C in the middle of boot fsck leaves your root partition in
read-only mode, and the machine has a lot of boot problems, and takes
a long time. I've tried this a few times this morning when I was in a
hurry (reboot, ctrl+c during fsck, hit boot problems so reboot again),
but in the end was forced to let fsck finish.

Is there a way to interrupt the bootup fsck 'cleanly', so that it will
remount read/write, and retry the next time you boot?

Even better would be a way to get fsck to run in the background after
you're already logged into KDE. Maybe not to actually fix problems (I
understand this is hard to do in r/w mode, while being actively used,
for technical reasons), but at leat to flag them for the next 'real'
fsck so they can be checked and fixed quickly then if they aren't
bogus...

Any suggestions?

===== A FEW (TRIMMED FOR BREVITY) REPLIES FROM MY LUG POST =====

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Morgan Collett