Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 04:06:55PM +0200, David wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Chris Bannister
> <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 05:59:01PM +0200, David wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Consider: person a replies to part of your reply, so they trim out what
> > is not relevant. person b replies to part of your reply, so they trim
> > out what is not relevant. Already the messages are starting to separate,
> > possibly returning to the state that was existing before you
> > concatenated them but with the threads in disarray.
>
> You make some good points, but I think that my case is a reasonable exception.

How about this.  <small flame>:

This is sort-of Unix.  Unix fsck's perodically on startup and it can't
be "scheduled" to run at a specified time since it has to happen on
boot, unless you schedule shutdowns on a 24/7 box (which you don't
have).  Your only choice is to either schedule fscks or edit the
initscript that checks to see if its time to fsck and ask for
confirmation.

This is a mailing list.  As with all mailing lists, there is both a
culture of use and a code of conduct.  You've been asked politely to not
concatenate emails and reply in a blob; not only did you do that but you
added more problems instead of starting a new thread.

This is sort-of Unix.  A Unix box needs a functional MTA to send local
mail.  If your exim startup is slow, its probably trying to do a DNS
lookup which means you didn't answer the questions properly when you
configured it.  Try dpkg-reconfigure the exim4 server.  You may need to
adjust the level threshold (e.g. P low) so that you get asked if you
want to minimize DNS queries for dial-up use.  If you want to discuss
MTA setup further, start a new thread.

<\small flame>

Doug.