Re: [Debian-User] Has anyone used crosshurd to install debian/gnu Linux?

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:17:10AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>

> >> Lets look at the why.  Why do you want to do it?  Debian has debootstrap
> >> to install to a partition from an existing unix system (IIRC, it only
> >> uses wget and sh).  What will crosshurd give you that either debootstrap
> >> or just the netinst.iso won't?
> >>
> >> Doug.
> >
> > I've never used debootstrap.  I have used crosshurd.  Besides
> > crosshurd is pretty simple, one just needs to specify the repositories
> > from where to get the packages, which can be under "unstable" which is
> > what I want as well (this doesn't mean with debootstrap I can't
> > achieve the same thing), and then run crosshurd.  It's that simple...
> >
> > So basically because I've used crosshurd before, and I got used to it.
> >  But if there's no experience with crosshurd, then I'd better go with
> > something others have tried and works...  I'll search the web for
> > debootstrap to see how it works...
> >

> It looks simple as well...  I took a look at:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/426
>
> Hopefully it's that simple, :)...  I hope I can call for "unstable" or

you certainly can, though it's been a while since I used it, so I
don't recall the magic incantations.

However, though Doug's question and suggestion were certainly
appropriate, I don't think he was necessarily trying to steer you
*away* from crosshurd, merely pointing out another option. If you are
familiar with crosshurd, then why not try it? The worst you'll lose is
time.

And report back so other's can learn too!

.02