Re: [Debian-User] Has anyone used crosshurd to install debian/gnu Linux?

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:08:44PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>> I'm thinking on performing a fresh install on a 2nd partition.  I was
>> thinking on using crosshurd (I've used it to install hurd, but never
>> linux), since according to its sid package web page [1], it looks like
>> crosshurd can do it:
>>

> Lets look at the why.  Why do you want to do it?  Debian has debootstrap
> to install to a partition from an existing unix system (IIRC, it only
> uses wget and sh).  What will crosshurd give you that either debootstrap
> or just the netinst.iso won't?
>
> Doug.

I've never used debootstrap.  I have used crosshurd.  Besides
crosshurd is pretty simple, one just needs to specify the repositories
from where to get the packages, which can be under "unstable" which is
what I want as well (this doesn't mean with debootstrap I can't
achieve the same thing), and then run crosshurd.  It's that simple...

So basically because I've used crosshurd before, and I got used to it.
 But if there's no experience with crosshurd, then I'd better go with
something others have tried and works...  I'll search the web for
debootstrap to see how it works...

thanks,

--
Javier