[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me? [bug 479702]

I'm cc-ing the bug report you have opened. Anybody who answers this bug
should also read the thread that has followed the original message, as
it contains many other useful details.

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:15:37PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 08:50:27PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > 2008/5/5 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> > > Is this a joke or am I missing something obvious? (wikipedia only shows
> > > a Hebrew diacritic, Patach, that looks like a dash)
> > >
> > 
> > No, no joke. What system are you on? Even your replies have the Hebrew
> > quoted properly.
> $ mutt -v
> Mutt 1.5.17 (2007-11-01)
> [...]
> System: Linux 2.6.24-1-686 (i686)
> [...]
> $ locale | grep LANG
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> $ mlterm -v
> mlterm version 2.9.4 
> and the font I use is Terminus. I only see some dashes and spaces, but I 
> guess there are some fonts missing. On the console I see dashes and 
> diamonds. With xfce4-terminal and the Monospace font (I'm guessing it's 
> actually DejaVu) I can see the characters correctly (as far as I can 
> tell).

Do you use use anti-aliasing (aa)?

I've used mlterm for quite some time without the problems you mentioned.
The problems seem, at first glance, as those of missing glyphs
("characters") in the font(s) you use.

I use mutt as well. I don't see any special settings I need.
(I do need to use bidiv to properly see messages whose charset is marked
as "ISO-8859-8-i", I've had problems aliasing that to cp1255. But no
problems with UTF-8).

In fact, I'm now using a default installation of Lenny (with Hebrew
selected as the language). I can see none of the problems mentioned

I normally use mutt under screen from a remote Etch (this is the one
from which I write now). But I also tested this with a local mutt from
my Lenny installation. It seems to be a bit slower but displays the text
just as well.

BTW: the default "anti-aliased" font was horribly wide. I disabled
anti-aliasing. And then I noticed that the font I got had bad
pixelization issues (at the default size of 16). Changing the size to 14
made the problem go away. But Hebrew was displayed just as well with the
original anti-aliased font.

The fonts I have installed:


(That's Culmus and packages that contain "fonts" in their name. Maybe
there are others).

Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il |                    | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il |                    |  best
ICQ# 16849754         |                    | friend

Reply to: