Re: Debian + LVM + RAID1

Ivan Glushkov wrote:
Damon L. Chesser wrote:
snip
I taught I have to install the grub on the raid array, thus the grub
will put a copy of itself on the first partition on both hard drives,
used for the raid1, right?
Wrong  AFAIK.  You can do that IF you have a boot loader on the MBR
pointing to grub.

Now I am confused. Isn't grub a boot loader? Why would I need another
boot loader pointing to grub? I want to put grub on the MBR of both hard
drives from which my raid1 array consist of.

BIOS does not read software raid and knows nothing
about software raid.

Indeed, but I do not expect from the bios to read my raid array. I
merely want it to look for boot record in the MBR of one of the two hard
drives on which I have my raid arrays.

  Software raid does not come into play until the
kernel via initrd is loaded.  Install to the MBR of the first HD of the
array, then use grub to install into the MBR of the other members.

What I meant with the paragraph you are referring to is exactly that:
issuing:

grub-install /dev/md0

should install (as fas as I understand it) a copy of grub in each hdd
from which the raid1 consist of (note: the partitions from both hard
drives included in md0 are both 512 MB and starting from the beginning
of the hard drives).

Truly, I don't know if you install grub onto a raid1 if it will install it onto the MBR of both physical HDs. I just always made partitions for the /boot, installed to one, moved the data around and made a mdX out of it and installed grub onto the other member. Re-inventing the wheel? Probably.
If I
am wrong, then it is news to me, but hey, I will learn new things!  See
my old "howto" on Linux, grub and raid at damtek.com for the exact
commands.  It is not pretty, but it will work.

I tried that. Thanks.

Basically the problem was easily solved. I had to tag both partitions to
be used for my /boot raid1 array as primary and bootable (stupid of me,
I know). But there is now another problem:

I see already the grub initial screen, but when I hit enter, I get the
following:

Booting 'Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24-1-amd64'

root (hd5,0)
 Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
kernel //vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root ro linux26 quiet

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

Press any key to continue...

I suppose grub does not know anything about LVM and the partitions on
that. If I am right, I have to rebuild initrd, right? But how do I tell
it to enable the lvm?

You have me there, it should have done it automagicaly when it installed. Use rescue mode, but I am not sure what command you should use to re-generate it. Perhaps chroot to your /, then try to run mkinitrd.

do you have a line in grub like this?

title        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.25-1-amd64
root        (hd0,5)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25-1-amd64 root=/dev/hda6 ro quiet
------->>>>>>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.25-1-amd64 <<<<<<<<<<<-------

If not, that would seem to mean you don't have an intrd.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com