Re: Debian + LVM + RAID1

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Ivan Glushkov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Debian on top of LVM and software RAID1 following this:
>>
>> http://dev.jerryweb.org/raid/
>>

>> Everything is fine except that I cannot boot the Debian afterwards
>> ("Insert boot disk" message from the bios). I used /dev/sdc and
>> /dev/sdd. First problem is that I do not know which hdd I should enter
>> as the first boot device in the bios. Moreover, obviously the bios does
>> not see the /dev/md0 array, since I guess first the raid array should be
>> started in order for grub to be loaded. I explicitly issued grub-install
>> /dev/md0 using the recovery mode of the debian installer, but that did
>> not help.
>>
>>     Thanks in advance,
>>     Ivan
>>

> Ivan,
>
> you can not put grub (/boot) on an LVM.  You can put /boot on a raid1.
> If you made one raid1 device and made one partition on md0 you will not
> be able to boot (assuming you then put LVM on top of that one
> partition/used all of md0).

No, that's not the problem. I followed exactly the mentioned article.
There, two disks are used and partitioned in two partitions - the first
ones are used for one RAID1, which is formatted as ext3 and used for the
/boot directory (i.e. no lvm for /boot). The second partitions on both
disks are arranged in a second RAID1 array on which I have created
separate logical volumes for / /usr /var and so on.

> Redo what you did only make either two partitions to md0, one for boot
> (110Mb is large enough for most) and on partition2 put the rest of your
> system ontop of the LVM.  Or, partition your two hds to have two mdadm
> raid1 .  One small md0 for /boot and one md1 for the system with LVM on it.
>
> You will then have to install grub on to hdd or if hdc fails, you will
> not be able to boot as grub will be installed onto hdc MBR.  Makes sense?

I taught I have to install the grub on the raid array, thus the grub
will put a copy of itself on the first partition on both hard drives,
used for the raid1, right?