Re: USB-pendrive boot?

ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

On Wed, 7 May 2008, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

I just bought a new HP-DV6700z notebook.
It does not have the option to boot from
(bootable pen-drive). The USB boot options are
- USB floppy
- USB Diskette on key

The desktop is able to boot from the pen-drive.

Any ideas?
One guy pointed out that it is debian list! So, one
may want to boot debian also from pen-drive.  There
maybe some one here that knows about BIOS update etc. (HP
tech support is a joke) or how to make pen-drive to look
like a USB hard disk etc..

If not, sorry for the noise. No flames please.

-ishwar

Yes this is a Debian list, your question is more HW/BIOS oriented.

But, an answer not only helps the novice but may also be of general use.

I'd try setting the BIOS to the 'USB Diskette on key' and see if that works. Seems to me I recall the term 'key' being used WRT "pen drives" (AKA "thumb drives", "flash drives", ...).

So what the BIOS is saying is 'disk image on flash drive' (I think).

--
Bob McGowan