Re: Debian + LVM + RAID1

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 07:32:13PM +0200, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I installed Debian on top of LVM and software RAID1 following this:
> >>
> >> http://dev.jerryweb.org/raid/
> >>

> >> Everything is fine except that I cannot boot the Debian afterwards
> >> ("Insert boot disk" message from the bios). I used /dev/sdc and
> >> /dev/sdd. First problem is that I do not know which hdd I should enter
> >> as the first boot device in the bios. Moreover, obviously the bios does
> >> not see the /dev/md0 array, since I guess first the raid array should be
> >> started in order for grub to be loaded. I explicitly issued grub-install
> >> /dev/md0 using the recovery mode of the debian installer, but that did
> >> not help.
> >>
> >>     Thanks in advance,
> >>     Ivan

Hi

I don't think this is a lvm / grub / raid1 issue.

you have stated that the 2 disk being used are sdc + sdd, by this i
presume there are 2 other disks in the box ?  Have you ever written a
mbr to sda ?  This is the first device the (usualy) the bios will try
and boot and the message sounds like your bios going, hey there is
nothing on this first disk for me to work with please insert disk.

Q) do you have 2 other disks in the machine
q) can you write a mbr to sda
q) or can you set your bios to boot from sdc

alex

--
"We ended the rule of one of history's worst tyrants, and in so doing, we not only freed the American people, we made our own people more secure."

	- George W. Bush
05/03/2003
Crawford, TX