Re: problem setting user and group on mounting a cifs share

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:48:40PM +0200, Chris wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 April 2008, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > > Or try NFS instead of cifs
> >
> > I want others (windows) to be able to read the data - that's what I have
> > a NAS for.
>
> you could use NFS when mounting from linux and the Microsoft protocol
> when using the NAS from windows (however, note that Microsoft's SFU are
> downloadable at no cost and support NSF as client and as server, from
> 2000 onwards).

a quick look at the share functions of the NAS only revealed "windows
share", "Apple", FTP and Backup as options.  NSF may be hidden somewhere
else.  I did not know that Windows can access NSF, might have a look at that.

> But if the cause of the problem with timestamps is the filesystem on the
> disk of the NAS, then it is possible that no full solution really exists
> (unless you hack the NAS; wikipedia seem to imply that something like
> debian can be installed on your device).

I need to look into this further but I can tell you that simply pulling a file
or directory over in Konquerer (just did that) transfers the time stamp of
the files and the directories just fine and dandy!!!

This is not a filesysystem problem!

--
C. Hurschler