Re: problem setting user and group on mounting a cifs share

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Mark Clarkson wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 22:46 +0200, Chris wrote:
> > it only works with -ruv but not with -t.  The time stamp is somehow
> > not in the
> > cards.  Thus the files on the target all have the copy date.  Not
> > nice.
>
> No, not nice. I backup a W***ws server over smb nightly, which works
> well, but on the linux machine I use fusesmb. I also use the rsync
> option '-av --no-p'. I do the copy as root in a crontab, but I'm pretty
> sure it mounts as the user that invokes it, so this might be the
> alternative you're looking for? Hopefully it behaves as well with your
> NAS.
>
> I remember it being a bit of a pain to get working as I glossed over the
> documentation a bit quickly so below are two snippets to hopefully save
> you some time (naturally it needs the fuse kernel module, and fusesmb
> which is in apt.):

> $ mkdir ~/.smb/
> $ cat <<End > ~/.smb/fusesmb.conf
> ; Global settings
> [global]
> ; Default username and password
> username=
> password=
>
> ; List hidden shares
> ;showhiddenshares=true
>
> ; Connection timeout in seconds
> timeout = 10
>
> ;Interval for updating new shares in minutes
> ;You may want to set this lower - if you are adding/removing shares a
> lot.
> interval = 10
>
> ; Share-specific settings
> [WORKGROUOP/MACHINE/SHARE]
> username=user
> password=userpassword
>
> End

> $ chmod 0600 ~/.smb/fusesmb.conf
> $ mkdir ~/net
> $ fusesmb ~/net

Time is not something I have much of...  I'm a bit surprised (dissspointed)
that this is so difficult.  On the windows side of life there are certainly
tools that allow "normal" userst to perform these kind of things.  I use
vice-versa at work to update my laptop files.  It's not the smb protokol that
is the problem....

I'll look into your suggestions and script. I'm not familiar with fusemb.

Thanks!

C. Hurschler