Re: Replace Ubuntu with Debian

> I just purchased a Dell laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 preinstalled. What I
> like about this setup is that all sorts of nifty things like the
> wireless card and hibernate/suspend features are automatically set up.

If they work in Ubuntu, chances are that they will work fine on Debian Sid
also.

> Can I take advantage of both worlds? That is, can I safely sync all my
> packages with Debian's unstable repository while retaining all the
> existing configurations?

Debian and Ubuntu are not binary compatible. They are compatible only at the
source level. So expect some problems if you are going to mix the two.

> The obvious thing to do is to change the apt sources and run a
> dist-upgrade. However, I'm a little paranoid that this is not entirely
> safe and that it may leave my system in a broken state. Does anyone
> have experience with this course of action or have better suggestions?

The common wisdom is that, if you want Debian then install Debian from the
get go. Do not mix Debian based distributions and Debian and hope that it
works. This applies to Ubuntu, Knoppix, xandros etc.,

What is more irritating is that people often mix distributions and then they
encounter problems. They go to Ubuntu forums and don't get any help from
there. Then they come to Debian mailing lists and people can't reproduce
the problem as it is something specific to Ubuntu+Debian combination ...

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi