Re: Canon EOS 400D and KDE

Hello Giorgos,

On 2008-04-29, Giorgos D. Pallas wrote:

> I have a problem importing the photos from my Canon EOS 400D. It seems
> that the OS (debian lenny) does not recognize the camera as a simple
> external storage but instead it tries to import the photos via a so
> called 'USB imaging interface'. This is at least what konqueror says.
> The problem is that photos are coming with a very very very small speed.

Canon cameras do not make themselves accessible as USB-storage; You have to use
software which knows their special camera interface to read out the photos, or
put the card in a card reader.
It is one of the (few) short-comings of their cameras people have been
complaining about for years...
Also, the transfer speed is quite low compared with taking the card out and
using a card reader, even when using the software supplied by Canon on a Mac--I
know it from personal experience.
You can read about it here, for example:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page12.asp

> On the other side, I plugged the camera into my brother's laptop running
> ubuntu, which imported the photos quickly using F-Spot.

F-Spot (and the 'USB imaging interface') must have special support integrated
for Canon cameras.

Regards,
--
Christer