Low-level problem with PCMCIA networking on Thinkpad 600

Hello all,

I just did a fresh net-install of Debian 4.0r3 on a Thinkpad 600. The computer has no built-in NIC and I used a Netgear MA401 PCMCIA wireless adapter (with WEP) for the net install.

Now the installation is complete and networking is not working. The pc card is detected and iwconfig reports that it sees the access point. It correctly detects the access point's MAC address and reports sane link quality / signal / noise levels.

iwconfig reports the interfaces lo, irda0, eth0, wlan0_rename. eth0 appears to be a duplicate of wlan0_rename.

ifconfig reports the eth0 and lo interfaces. For eth0 it reports the following: eth0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-09-5B-XX-XX-XX-68-9D-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

The first 6 hex numbers are the card's correct mac address but the rest seems spurious.

dhclient gives the warning:
eth0: unknown hardware address type 801
eth0: unknown hardware address type 801

Listening on LPF/eth0
Sending on   LPF/eth0
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER...
No DHCPOFFERS received.

I know dhcp worked during the net install. Manual interface configuration doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brandon