Re: Pinning ?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 01:03:53PM -0500, lostson wrote:

>  Hello
>  I have read some stuff about pinning in Debian is it possible to say
>  pin a application from testing or unstable on Etch. For instance say
>  I want to have the newest version of qt4 instead of what is in
>  stable. Is this possible ? Or could someone please point me in the
>  direction of some good documentation on this subject, thanks.

You can pin package but that comes with many problems if the aplication
is not simple scripts etc.  For qt4 thingy, this is sure call for
trouble.

If you need new qt4 apps for stable system, use backports.org packages.

Or simply use pure testing system.

Please do not mix stable with unstable.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#basicsofdebianpackagemanagement

Osamu