Re: creating a ProDOS boot diskette

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/16/08 21:15, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> > Folk,
> >
> > I have a copy of ProDOS-System.zip which unzips
> > to "Apple II System Disk 3.2.dc".
> >
> > Can a Debian make a ProDOS boot diskette?
> > Should dd work?
>
> dd should be able to do it, if the hardware is capable.  But I doubt
> it, since "PC-style" floppy drives are soft-sector, and IIRC the
> Apple drives were hard-sector.

I think Apple drives were soft sector, since I remember reading the info
in "Beneath Apple DOS" and "Beneath Apple ProDOS" about how the sectors
were defined and which bytes were used.  Also some of the games, I
think, used games with the track and sector layout for copy protection.
I remember specifically having to hack and remove the copy protection
on at least one program and it involved editing the sector id codes.

The problem, though, is that Apple disks were not compatible with PC
drives and I think they had a different type of formatting that
the "regular"drives didn't deal with (other than hard/soft sector).

I do know there are Apple ][ and //e (and maybe //c) emulators that run
on Linux and if you have an image of the Apple ROMs, they'll run find
on Debian.  (I wish I still had the images of the ROMs in my //e -- I
had a few cool extra features that made debugging and tracing much
easier.)

Hal
(Who still misses his Apple //e with a *fully socketed* motherboard, a
whopping 5 MB hard drive and who actually enjoyed programming in 6502
Assembler!)