Re: browsers have become memory hogs

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 01:25:53PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> After a fresh login I'll have about 40-50Mb used, 0 swap. After a few
>> hours of FF2.x I'd be maxed on memory and pushing 2/3rds of my 256Mb of
>> swap.  Close FF and most of the memory and swap go away.  FF3 doesn't
>> get that high but it still pushes my machine into swap without much
>> trouble.  What really gets me is after 2-3 days logged in I'll exit
>> TBird, FF3 and Pidgin and be right back where I was when I logged in.
>> Just XFCE4 loaded.  70-80Mb used, another 30-50Mb in the swap.  I log
>> out of XFCE4, log back in, 40-50Mb used, 0 swap.  :/
>
> Yes, it seems that, at least on Etch, there's a memory leak in the GTK2
> widget library common to both FF and XFCE (and others).  The leak does
> not happen with Konqueror.
>
> Have you tried Konqueror; you don't need all of KDE.

Has anyone mentioned FF 3?  It is very much leaner and meaner that FF 2;
if you can use it, it is a nice alternative.  Doesn't leak memory like a
sieve.  Of course, not every Debian user can use FF 3.  Installing Beta
5 is not for the faint-of-heart, though.

(I will be glad when it is finally released, and the Debian team has
packaged up an Iceweasel version of it, or whatever the name will be.)