Re: [VERY OT while waiting for Lenny?] reminiscing on old computers

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:45:39AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/10/08 11:32, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:17:06AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> On 04/09/08 23:14, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> Gee, ya think uber-torque is why they did that?
> >
> > I don't know why frankly. It was obviously a local delivery vehicle
> > and intended to carry some weight. This particular one was originally
> > purchased by the USAF and used as a flight-line ambulance. They may
> > have had special gearing requirements for it. It has a top end around
>
> *Really* smooth acceleration for critically-wounded patients?

nah, geared that low, as soon as you start to slip the clutch/release
the gas, the thing practically screeches to a stop for the shift into
second. You have to really know how to clutch (and double clutch) to
drive the thing.

> Or really, really, really fat pilots?

that's why they make the planes out of alumin[i]um.. to allow for fat
pilots.