Re: [VERY OT while waiting for Lenny?] reminiscing on old computers

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 04:42:13 pm Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:34:39AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > No no, sorry Doug, but rubber bands are reserved for securing daughter
> > *boards* not daughters. I only use du(ct|ck) tape for securing the
> > children.
> >
> > /me runs from the SPCA^h^h^h^hCPS...
>
> If the wiggle fits.
>
> (I think its much funnier than if I hadn't snipped what came before,
> IMHO).
>
> If before we were kettle and pot, now that duct tape is an issue, are we
> Red and Green (do other places get the Red Green show?).

The US got The Red Green Show on PBS (our version of the CBC, except PBS and
NPR were both privatized in the 90s and have gone downhill from there),
though the movie didn't get theatrical release here (instead, it ran in
segments in a 3 hour timeslot as a Red Green themed beg-a-thon gimick for
PBS, instead of without interruption as it probably would have back when our
public broadcaster was still public).

We also got Brian Jacques Redwall from Teletoon on PBS here on Saturday
mornings for a while; they ran a padded version to fit in a 28-minute
commercial-free timeslot.  After the original program but before the credits,
PBS injected educational games themed on the episode's content, or
documentary shorts about the show's production (in a style similar to "How
It's Made") or interviews with the author or various key production crew
members (in a style that I'm sure Mike Nelson could make dozens of "This is
Spin̈al Tap" jokes to).

Another Teletoon gem got picked up by easily the least-likely American outlet
possible... we got the entire run of Clone High on MTV here.

Guuh, it's too bad Al Gore bought and gutted CBC Newsworld International
(Became "Current TV", an attempt at a teenage-oriented cable news network)
and Paul Allen did the same to MuchMusicUSA (became Fuse, stopped playing
decent music, started airing non-music content)...

At least my delivery truck has a sirius radio now... I think I spend most time
listening to CBC Radio 1 and Radio 3, BBC Radio 1 and World Service, Iceberg
(a Canadian alternative Internet radio station syndicated on Sirius) and CBC
Bandeparte (CBC's French-language rock station, I maybe understand one word
out of five, but I just like the sound of most of the music).  It's too bad
CRTC doesn't have any influence on what goes over the air in the US, Canada's
got the better entertainment...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca