Re: Starting Evolution with work-online enabled [SOLVED]

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:52:40PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:23:11 -0700
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:46:09AM +0100, Robin wrote:

> > > Package should be renamed network-mangler:)
> >
> > indeed. I wonder if this is just something unique to debian's package
> > or a general problem with n-m? Or is it more a problem with the level
> > of sophistication of users on this list? They are sophisticated enough
> > to break n-m in previously unforeseen ways...
>
> I have never used NM, since I'm a Linux-geek wannabe who assumes that
> GUIs are automatically evil, but I have been quite struck by the fact
> that some of the bcm43xx / b43 devs seem to consider it their preferred
> method of managing their wireless subsystems, and those guys surely
> know wireless as well as anyone.  I believe I have seen Larry Finger
> (one of those devs), write strongly in its favor, although at the
> moment all I find is this comment of his [0]:
>
> You will find NetworkManager to be a very nice way to connect.
>
> I'm cc'ing him; perhaps he can shed some light on the issue.
>
> [0] https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2007-July/004949.html

I've used it a couple of times and frankly, it just didn't work. Both
my wife's (then etch) box hardwired to a dhcp router and my laptop in
various locations... it never did what was expected. I reverted to
basic /etc/network/interfaces setup for my wife's machine and a custom
script for my laptop tailored to connect to my most likely locations
and that works flawlessly. It must work for someone, and frankly I
suspect it pretty much just works for most people, but I've never had
luck with it and have seen nothing but complaints from it around
here...