Re: Starting Evolution with work-online enabled [SOLVED]

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:23:11 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:46:09AM +0100, Robin wrote:
> > On 04/04/2008, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > > Resolved problem: apt-get remove network-manager
> > >

> there seem to be more and more posts that end this way...

> > Package should be renamed network-mangler:)
>
> indeed. I wonder if this is just something unique to debian's package
> or a general problem with n-m? Or is it more a problem with the level
> of sophistication of users on this list? They are sophisticated enough
> to break n-m in previously unforeseen ways...

I have never used NM, since I'm a Linux-geek wannabe who assumes that
GUIs are automatically evil, but I have been quite struck by the fact
that some of the bcm43xx / b43 devs seem to consider it their preferred
method of managing their wireless subsystems, and those guys surely
know wireless as well as anyone.  I believe I have seen Larry Finger
(one of those devs), write strongly in its favor, although at the
moment all I find is this comment of his [0]:

You will find NetworkManager to be a very nice way to connect.

I'm cc'ing him; perhaps he can shed some light on the issue.

[0] https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2007-July/004949.html

Celejar