Re: exim/postfix comparisons

Nate Duehr wrote:
Ick. Do you monitor port 25 outbound at your border for spikes in traffic? Seems like in some cases that would be the only way you'd ever see it when dealing with the low-end ultra-clueless hosted customers.
No idea, I don't work in that department :) There's monitoring for all sorts of things, but since a lot of clients send out legitimate news letters (sometimes over 100k), it's not easy to react to spikes in outgoing traffic.

Ever had your entire netblock dumped into one of the major spam "fighting" sites...
SORBS? They listed a /16 once. Worse is they want you to pay them to clear your IP (last time I was involved in that). But my pet hate is Microsoft who seems to randomly blacklist IP addresses. My server that handles my own personal mail, and nothing else, that has proper forward/reverse DNS and SPF, had no problem sending mail to hotmail for ages, and then, all of a sudden, the mail started disappearing into thin air -accepted by their servers, just discarded. Didn't even make the junk folder. Took three weeks to get my IP whitelisted.

The real answer has been, and always will be... a method to authenticate both servers and end-users of e-mail, end to end. Until that day, spam reigns supreme, no matter how hard anyone tries.
SPF seems to make a reasonable stab at it. At least mail then has to have really come from where it claims to.

What made this a pleasure to work with, was that after fixing the relay issue, I could move all the mail in the active queue to the hold queue, so mail was instantly flowing as normail, which gave me all the time in the world to delete the spam and requeue the legitimate mail. qmail (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't have a way to do this.

Yeah. Managing mail via moving files is far more sane than dealing with specific mail queue commands, different on every system. Moving files seems much more "Unix-like" to me.

Actually, no, postfix has the postqueue and postsuper commands. Deleting or moving around files in it's queue can corrupt it (as far as I know, I've never tried). Problem with qmail here is moving files around in the queue will corrupt the queue too, except if you stop qmail first. that's why you'll see qmHandle stop qmail first, then do whatevery you tell it to do, then start it again. Another nasty side effect, is that bounced mail have a bounce file somewhere in the queue structure. When you delete the mail, but don't delete the bounce file too, this comes back to haunt you. Next time you get a mail with the same queue ID (and qmail recycles queue IDs pretty damn quickly), qmail gets confused between the new mail and the bounce file and fires off mails to everybody. I don't remember the exact detail of how it works, but it pretty much always results in an angry customer on the phone. Nasty...

--kj