Re: Games on a Redmond virtual machine.

Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> At the moment the only use i have for XP is for games, which i seldom
> play anyway. I have Half-Life 2, Quakes 1, 2 and 4, Soldier of Fortune
> 2 and Thief 3... Mostly shooters which usually are demanding as far as
> graphics and framerate go. I have a lot of guests so occasionaly i do
> reboot into XP, which is annoying, i'd rather open a window within my
> session.

> I've heard a lot about VMware and afaik using wine would not really
> cut it, even though wine's not an emulator. I'll dig into VirtualBox,
> Xen and kvm.

    Xen won't work.  AFAIK that requires kernel patches for the guest OS to
work under the Hypervisor.  Trivial in an OSS kernel like Linux or the *BSDs
but, uh, a non-starter with Redmond kernels.  I think the same goes for kvm.

    Honestly, best suggestion is wine.  The last time I poked at gaming under
Linux was on an Ubuntu partition a few months ago.  WoW ran perfectly but
patching was wonky.  EVE-O worked great.  Those are the only two I tried but
the frames were with 3-5 of native.  IE, negligible drop.

    Prior to that I tried Cedega from Transgaming.  There is a monthly
subscription but if Wine cannot do it chances are Cedega will.  And if Cedega
doesn't do it, paying the monthly fee gives you a voice on what games they
should focus on next.  Cedega ran CoH and Steam + HL2 + CS:S perfectly.  Of
course at the time I had a 9800Pro and had to swap it out for my ancient
GeForce3 to run.  Frames sucked but that was because of the huge backwards
step in hardware.

    I would not be surprised if HL2, SoF2 and Thief 2 ran under plain ol'
wine.  As for Q1, Q2 and Q4 that's a no-brainer.  Run them natively!

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |   And dream I do...