Re: Games on a Redmond virtual machine.

Nuno Magalhães wrote:
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Elsewhere i've read that, having a regular dualboot, one could acess
XP through Linux and have XP believe it was running the system instead
of actually running within a window. Whatever means this is, it does
use the dlls of the fat/ntfs partition. It has the adfvantage of not
having to reboot if i just wanna do something quick; and the advantage
of having XP isntalled in a separate partition, meaning if something
doesn't work well i could just reboot.

At the moment the only use i have for XP is for games, which i seldom
play anyway. I have Half-Life 2, Quakes 1, 2 and 4, Soldier of Fortune
2 and Thief 3... Mostly shooters which usually are demanding as far as
graphics and framerate go. I have a lot of guests so occasionaly i do
reboot into XP, which is annoying, i'd rather open a window within my
session.

I've heard a lot about VMware and afaik using wine would not really
cut it, even though wine's not an emulator. I'll dig into VirtualBox,
Xen and kvm.

Other suggestions?

In keeping with Paul Johnson's suggestion to use wine:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2890 <Halflife2 Quake has a long history ( or Id does) of releasing Linux versions that run natively:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/mon-dec-05-2005-701-am-vp526889.html
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/#head-005dbb0a51d7e36e248ab0e6f34d32fc8b69cb46

^ those are for Quake4, you can easily find info on all the other Quakes and I ran Quake 1 and two in linux as long as 5 years ago.

for SOF I think you may not do so well:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1116

and as for thief III, keep your XP around if you must play it.

I make a dual boot install (becuse there are apps from others that need windows that I need to access from time to time), install the game then copy over Program Files into my wine "C drive" location.

navigate to the *.exe and do "wine *.exe".

I do not think you will enjoy the games on a vm, but if you do, please let me know. That will be news to me.

HTH!

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com