Re: Suggestions for improving ffmpeg performance?

On 3/8/08, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ekalin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really now. I think there were some revisions in which MMX was
> causing problems, but in that version there seemed to be no problems

I had some bizarre issues with ffmpeg before, (especially the
3/27/2007 release leaking gobs of RAM during divx to mpeg encoding)
but that has not been an issue and doubtful would have anything to do
with whether mmx was enabled.

> You have to add the deb-src line given in the end of
> www.debian-multimedia.org and then apt-get source it. That should work,

Oddly enough, I inspected the /etc/apt/sources.list and the line was
definitely there. But I worked
around that problem well enough by using apt-build, and the package
(revision 0.1 even though there is a 0.2 on marillat's site - it must
just not be available in lenny yet) is building. I set up apt-build to
build packages with -O3 and to tune it for my architecture (athlon
thunderbird) but only the -O3 seems to have taken effect, from what I
can see in the compiler output.

And I didn't yet get to add --enable-mmx so I guess I have to do that
again. How did you get around that issue? I'm somewhat inexperience
with building packages the debian way - and this is pretty much my
first time using apt-build. I've built plenty of packages by using
configure & make & make install, however.

IOW, I don't have Super Cow Powers :).