Re: Suggestions for improving ffmpeg performance?

David Fox wrote:
On 3/8/08, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ekalin@gmail.com> wrote:
The ffmpeg version in the debian-multimedia repository is build without
MMX, I don't know exactly why. And this makes the program quite slow
(something like 3 times slower).

I wonder why -disable-mmx was chosen? Stability possibly but maybe we
should query why that and
see if it can be fixed. Strictly speaking, debian-multimedia is
something that can't be addressed by reportbug it seems. Oh well.

I don't really now. I think there were some revisions in which MMX was causing problems, but in that version there seemed to be no problems enabling it.

Oddly enough, I figured I'd do the same thing but there doesn't seem
to be a source package to build from as I am getting errors from
apt-get (is there an equivalent way to do source-level gets in
aptitude - I use it for everything) saying it can't find a source for
'ffmpegcvs'. I'm on marillat's site just now looking for a direct
download.

You have to add the deb-src line given in the end of www.debian-multimedia.org and then apt-get source it. That should work, at least. But I downloaded the files manually from the ffmpeg directory of that site. There is a link in the package page for ffmpeg.

--
Good salesmen and good repairmen will never go hungry.
		-- R. E. Schenk

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@gmail.com
http://move.to/hpkb