Re: [OT] Naming Schemes (was: Laptop with Linux preinstalled)

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 02:09:34PM +1100, Rich Healey wrote:

> Owen Townend wrote:
> >   Staying off-topic :)
> >   Naming schemes wise - Good idea with the bond girls.
> >   My VM names are all coffee related:  arabica dusting froth platter mocha
[...]
> >   A customer site I visited had their servers named after greek gods, and
[...]
> >   It's always amusing walking into a new site and discovering their naming
[...]
> 	I've been through a few naming schemes, greek gods is good, but common
> (i used to be a network analyst, if i had a dollar for each "zeus" i've
> seen....)
>
> I like bond girls, some cool names out there (though i was just
> discussing with a mate that many are not really usable, however funny,
> this new box will be public routable, i don't think pussy.psychotik.info

Miaow, why not?

But a name can be a snare and a delusion:  we had another
quasi-classical name, atticus, so called because it was located in the
attic.  Then we moved house and it was relocated under the stairs...
And I had my office in the potting-shed for a time, so my very
odd-looking skeletal tower box, with bits bolted on in all directions,
was named potty.  But it soon moved indoors and got a new case so that
name was out of date too.  And how much refitting is needed to justify a
rename?  new processer, new case, new motherboard, new hard drives, but
all at different times, so at which point should it be renamed?

richard