Re: What am I missing without mutt?

On 02/07/08 07:29, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 07/02/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>  >>  > However, I vehemently disagree that email should be ascii.  This is
>>  >>
>>  >> But that's how the US maintains it's hegemony over the Internet...
>>  >>
>>  >>  Well, that and the fact that (compared to "calligraphic",
>>  >>  pictographic & hieroglyphic languages) Greco-Latin alphabets are
>>  >>  small, simple, regularized, easy to print, and a perfect basis for
>>  >>  extensible vocabulary.
>>  >
>>  > Greek is not in ASCII,
>>
>> Never said it was.
>>
>>  >                         and Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, and all the
>>

>> Russian derives from Greek.
>
> Russian is Cyrillic,

Knew that...

>                      which is in fact of Greek and Hebrew origin. Not

Didn't know that...

> surprising since it was invented to spread Christianity, and those are
> the languages of the Original and New Testaments.
>
>>  Note that I specified Greco-Latin.
>
> Greco refers to Greek, no? Or is there some Greek speaking culture
> that uses Latin letters? I've never heard of them.

Maybe "Greco-Latin" was the wrong way to write what I meant.  A
longer, but hopefully clearer, method would be "alphabets of Greek
and Latin descent".

>>  > European languages that have modified Latin scripts are just as small
>>  > (Hebrew is smaller), simple (Arabic is simpler), regularized (if you
>>  > mean that there is only a small, repeating set of symbols), easy to
>>  > print (unless you have a ball-hammer printer), and are perfect basi
>>  > (sp?) for extensible vocabulary.
>>
>> With the semitic languages, the problem I see is that one letter can
>>  "flow" under another letter, and dots here and there change the
>>  meaning of the letter.
>>

> In Arabic, most letters combinations flow into one another as does
> cursive script in Russian and English.

But Western alphabets also have "print" script.  Do semitic
languages have "print" script?

>                                         There are still the same amount
> of letters, in fact, when typing Arabic one does not pay attention to
> the way the letters flow into one another.  The OS does that part
> automatically assuming that a supportive font is installed.

Interesting.  But it seems to make console apps difficult.

>                                                             Hebrew, on
> the other hand, has final letters that are used only on the end of
> words, like capital letters in English at the beginning of sentences.
> And like English capitals, the user must specify that [s]he wants a
> final letter with the appropriate key. Being how there are only five
> of those (in addition to 22 regular Hebrew letters) the alphabet the
> becomes 27 letters: only one more than English.

Also interesting.

What about the "dots".  Is that just a figment of misunderstanding?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals