Re: Non-understood advice - was Re: dist-upgrade from sarge to etch - package

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:34:14 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:54:08 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Check for non-Debian packages on your system by running:
> >
> > aptitude search '~i!~Odebian'
>
> As an aptitude-novice, I tried the above command on my
> fully-operational upgrade from Sarge to Etch.  It gave a long list of
> installed packages - almost all of which were part of the Debian
> install.

What does your sources.list look like? I could understand this behavior
if you had non-Debian archives included that provide packages with the
same names as official packages. (The backports archive would be an
example.) The above search term matches any packet that is installed and
that has a non-Debian version in one of the archives known by apt; this
non-Debian version does not have to be the one that is actually
installed. If you want to avoid this ambiguity then you have to add the
version narrowing operator:

aptitude search '~S~i!~Odebian'

It is also possible that you found a bug in the Etch version of
aptitude; I use version 0.4.10-1+b1 on Sid and these search terms work
as expected on my system.

> The generated list included one of the two non-Debian packages (opera)-
> deleted during the install and replaced subsequently. It failed to find
> the only other non-Debian package (vuescan).

How did you install vuescan? Maybe it does not properly identify itself
as non-Debian.

> I also ran the following:
>
> | $ aptitude search '~i! ~Odebian' | grep opera*

Side note: The asterisk is not necessary here. You are probably mixing
up bash globbing and regular expressions.

> and got :
>
> | i   eject                           - ejects CDs and operates CD-Changers
> | i   opera                           - The Opera Web Browser
>
> What have I <missed|misunderstood>?

I don't see any problem with the last part; both these lines contain the
string "opera", so they match the expression for which you are grepping.

          Florian   |