Re: dist-upgrade from sarge to etch - package dependencies issues

Hello Florian. Thx for your reply. See underneath my
answers to your questions.

--- Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 22:41:11 +0000, Dimitrios
> Daskalakis wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to upgrade my distribution from sarge
> > etch.
>
> Are you following the upgrade procedure that is
> outlined in Etch's
> release notes?

Yes. I am doing exactly what the release notes say.
That's the link I read.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

> > Having upgraded successfully the 2.4 kernel to
> 2.6, I
> > update my sources.list (change sarge to stable, so
> > get etch) and I run aptitude upgrade. Then ...
>
> Do you run "aptitude update" before that?

Yes. I make sure I set my sources.list to get sarge
packages and I update.

> > aptitude   dist-upgrade
> >
> > which unfortunately gives me these errors:
>
> [...]
> >   xlibmesa-gl: Depends: xfree86-common but it is
> not installable
> >                Conflicts: libgl1 which is a
> virtual package.
> >   xlibmesa-glu: Depends: xfree86-common but it is
> not installable
> >                 Conflicts: libglu1 which is a
> virtual package.
> >   libglu1-mesa: Conflicts: libglu1 which is a
> virtual package.
> >   libfam0c102: Conflicts: libfam0 but 2.7.0-12 is
> to be installed.
> >   libgl1-mesa-glx: Conflicts: libgl1 which is a
> virtual package.
>
> Please post the output of these two commands:
>
> apt-cache policy xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-glu
> libglu1-mesa libgl1-mesa-glx

The output for this command is this:

xlibmesa-gl:
  Installed: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge5
  Candidate: 1:7.1.0-19
  Version Table:
     1:7.1.0-19 0
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org stable/main
Packages
 *** 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge5 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
xlibmesa-glu:
  Installed: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge5
  Candidate: 1:7.1.0-19
  Version Table:
     1:7.1.0-19 0
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org stable/main
Packages
 *** 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge5 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libglu1-mesa:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 6.5.1-0.6
  Version Table:
     6.5.1-0.6 0
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org stable/main
Packages
libgl1-mesa-glx:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 6.5.1-0.6
  Version Table:
     6.5.1-0.6 0
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org stable/main
Packages

> aptitude search '~i~Dlibfam0c102'

The output of this command is nothing at all.