Re: Memory Stick is sg1? Solution?

On 01/27/08 15:45, Thomas H. George wrote:
> After trying various suggestions I found I was unable to mount the
> memory stick at all.
>
> I went back to the begining and executed:
>
> zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda
>
> which puts a FAT file system on the memory stick.
>
> Next I unplugged and replugged it and it was still recognized as sg1.
> As root the command mount /dev/sda /mnt worked.
>
> Next I added the line:
>
> /dev/sda	/media/usb1	vfat	rw,user,auto	0	0
>
> to /etc/fstab and found that as a normal user the command:
>
> mount /media/usb1
>
> worked.  Thus my objective of using the memory stick as a normal user is
> achieved.
>
> I don't understand why sg1 and not sda1.  For the curious I ran parted
> with the following result:
>

> Script started on Sun 27 Jan 2008 04:41:31 PM EST
> Dragon:~# parted /dev/sda print
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 2080MB
>
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
>
> Partition Table: loop
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Flags
>
>  1      0.00kB  2080MB  2080MB  fat16
>

> Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

If this is a desktop system running GNOME/KDE/XFCE when you plug the
stick in, you shouldn't really have to do any of this.  Since you
*are* having all this trouble, I guess that implies that you aren't
running a DE.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown