Re: lightning, extension for icedove, screwed up

H.S. wrote:
> Cassiano Bertol Leal wrote:
>> H.S. wrote:
>>> (Fixed the typo in the subject line.)

>> Hi
>>
>> Try installing the package libnspr4-dev. It has fixed the problem for me.
>>
>> If it does not work, you can also try an 'apt-get build-dep icedove'. I
>> have read of some people for whom this command has fixed it, although
>> for me it wasn't necessary.
>
> Tried the libnsp4-dev, no luck.
>
> BTW, here is actual error message I get when I try to install the
> extension:
>
> "Lightning" could not be installed because it is not compatible with
> your Icedove build type (linux-gnu_x86-gcc3). Please contact the author
> of this item about the problem.
>
> ->HS

Ok, so you're having trouble installing the plugin. This is easily
fixable, but you have to mess up with the .xpi.

Here's the step-by-step:

1 - download the xpi from the lightning web page (save it, but don't
install it just yet)
2 - open a terminal and go to the folder where the xpi was saved.
3 - create a temp folder and enter it (mkdir lightning-tmp && cd
lightning-tmp)
4 - unzip ../lightning-0.7-tb-linux.xpi (adjust to the correct file name)
5 - open install.rdf with you favorite editor
6 - find the tag <em:targetPlatform>
7 - change the value of this tag to linux-gnu_x86-gcc3 (e.g.
'<em:targetPlatform>linux-gnu_x86-gcc3</em:targetPlatform>')
8 - save the file and exit the editor
9 - re-zip it (zip -r ../lightning-0.7-debian.xpi)

then, you can 'cd ..', 'rm -rf lightning-tmp' and install the newly
created lightning-0.7-debian.xpi.

Should work with the nightly builds as well. Works perfectly for me.

Info taken from
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/7805c89372f6b4f3

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal