Fwd: Re: /var/archive

--- Angus Auld <aonghas_auld@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:22:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: Angus Auld <aonghas_auld@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: /var/archive
> To: Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org>
>

> --- Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just moved to Debian Etch from 10 years on
> > Mandriva, so a bit of a
> > newbie here.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what significance /var/archives
> > has? I have a 1.25 GB
> > /var partition, which always used to be plenty,
> but
> > archives is now eating
> > up 1.05 GB, so I'll have to move (or preferably
> > delete) it.
> >
> > Any advice, please?
> >
> > Cheers, Tony
> > --
> > Tony van der Hoff        |
> > mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
> > Buckinghamshire, England

 You can config your package manager to delete
 packages after downloading and installing.
 I am new to Debian as well, also after many years of
 using Mandrake/Mandriva.
 Debian must be configed by default to store packages
 after downloading/installing.
 I use apt-get/synaptic, and find it to be
 a very easy to use and robust manager. In the
 preferences you
 can config to delete after the download/install.

 I am using a Debian Etch based distro called
 Dreamlinux, and
 I am thus far very impressed with the stability and
 power that Debian offers.

 Best regards.

-- Angus

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Be a better friend, newshound, and