Re: Terminal issues in fresh install

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 15:22:13 -0500, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Florian Kulzer writes:
>
> > Maybe the locale variables are not properly defined for root. What do
> > you get if you run
> >
> > su - -c locale
> >
> > (Or log in as root on the console and check the "locale" output then. If
> >  you normally use "su" without the "-" option or "sudo" to do your root
> >  work then you will not necessarily notice a problem with root's own
> >  locale definitions.)
>
> I always use sudo to do everything.

So your upgrading etc. is done with your normal user's locale settings,
which seem to work. Comparing them to root's settings will hopefully
give us a hint where the problem with the cronjobs lies.

>                                      su - -c locale gives me:
> (peter@thruxton:/media)% su - -c locale
> Password:
> LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en_CA:en_US:en_GB:en
> LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> This seems ok does it not?

The only difference to the setup of your normal user seems to be
LANGUAGE. Is there any reason that you reference the iso8859-1 locales
there instead of the utf-8 ones? Were the iso8859-1 locales generated on
your system? Check if they are listed by "locale -a".

You could try to unset LANGUAGE for root and see if that stops the
complaints of the cronjobs. (I have to admit that I am not even sure
about the proper use of LANGUAGE since I have never had any reason to
set it on my computers; I only use LANG.)

          Florian   |