Re: Terminal issues in fresh install

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:05:10 -0500, Peter Smerdon wrote:

> Hi, I too have some issue with UTF-8, although I can install and remove
> software without a problem, my logs get filled with perl warnings about
> locales.

If you want help with that then we need to see the warning messages.

> (peter@thruxton:~)% locale
> LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
> As you can see LC_ALL is unset,

You don't have to set LC_ALL since you have already defined all the
other ones. Setting LC_ALL is just a shortcut to set all the LC_*
variables to the same locale at once.

>                                 I use rxvt-unicode and can see special
> characters except inside GNU Screen for some reason.

Maybe screen runs a different shell on your system and/or does not get
initialized the same way as your normal shell. Run "locale" from within
screen to check if the settings are correct.

>                                                      How do I set LC_ALL
> the `debian way'?

The system-wide locale settings are in /etc/default/locale or
/etc/environment. (I think /etc/environment is depreciated these days.)
See also "man update-locale".

If you want to customize the settings on a per-user basis then you have
to make sure that each user's shell(s) get initialized as desired and
that the relevant LC_* environmental variables are set correctly for all
X applications. (How to do the X part depends on how you start X and
which DE you use.)

          Florian   |