Re: Terminal issues in fresh install

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:31:04 -0500, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Florian Kulzer writes:
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:05:10 -0500, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Hi, I too have some issue with UTF-8, although I can install and remove
> >> software without a problem, my logs get filled with perl warnings about
> >> locales.
> >
> > If you want help with that then we need to see the warning messages.
>
> from logcheck:
> Security Events
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>
> and from cron:
> /etc/cron.daily/man-db:
> mandb: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> manconv: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> manconv: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
> manconv: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
>
> I have screen running in utf8 mode now, and with Emacs/gnus reading my
> mail I can use nice glyphs to display threading, and software still
> installs or updates despite these warnings so I am not worried too much
> about it anymore, its more of an annoyance than anything.

Maybe the locale variables are not properly defined for root. What do
you get if you run

su - -c locale

(Or log in as root on the console and check the "locale" output then. If
 you normally use "su" without the "-" option or "sudo" to do your root
 work then you will not necessarily notice a problem with root's own
 locale definitions.)

          Florian   |