Re: Terminal issues in fresh install

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 05:19:52PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I'd guess that the locale of the workstation is relevant here.  Your
> terminal is going to be running in your locale (you didn't mention if
> was the system console or an X terminal, but I assume an X terminal),
> and so it won't know how to deal with UTF-8 sequences output by the
> commands you're running remotely.
>
>   Probably your best bet is to either enable UTF-8 locally or disable it
> remotely.

Hi Daniel,

I see that you are using mutt. Are you using a UTF-8 locale and also get
the thread indicators to show correctly? Or are you using a UTF-8 locale
but have something like export

	LC_CTYPE="en_US"

in your .bashrc

I use mutt in the system console and can't seem to strike the right
combination. If I generate a UTF-8 locale I need to set
LC_CTYPE="en_NZ" which seems to defeat the purpose of generating UTF-8
in the first place.

Also "dpkg-reconfigure" shows rubbish unless LC_CTYPE is set similarly
for root.

--
Chris.
======